The goal of Black Catholic Commission is to build a Black Catholic community in the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois. The major purpose is direct contact with all diocesan Black Catholics while sharing the Black Catholic religious heritage with other Catholics.
The mission of Black Catholic Commission is
- To meet the educational, cultural and social needs of Black Catholics in the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois
- To empower Black Catholics to full participation in the life of the Church
- To evangelize the un-churched Black Catholics in the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois
Goals and Objectives
GOAL I - Communication
- Update diocesan mailing list of Black Catholics
- Send periodic mailings on coming events
- Communicate with Black Catholics on the national and regional level about events and news from our local Black Catholic community.
GOAL II - Convene Black Catholics
- Coordinate a representative body of Black Catholics in the Diocese
- Convene an annual diocesan gathering with Bishop Lucas for the purpose of information, support, edification, empowerment and fellowship
GOAL III - Evangelization
- Empower individuals and families to see evangelization as the goal of every baptized Catholic
- Reach out to the Black Catholics in the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois who have left the Church
GOAL IV - Visible Black Catholic Presence
- Serve as a resource for other diocesan offices, deanery pastoral councils and Task Force for Racial Justice
- Give presentation on Recovery from Racism to parishes and other interested groups
GOAL V - Education
- Develop and implement, with theOffice for Catholic Education, in-service education for teachers, school administrators and students
- Give presentations to schools and other parish groups, upon request.
"There is a richness in our Black experience that we must share with the entire People of God. . . . . . We thank God for the gifts of our Catholic faith and we give thanks for the gifts of our Blackness. In all humility we turn to the whole Church that it might share our gifts so that ‘our joy may be complete'."
What We Have Seen and Heard. © 1984 Pastoral Letter on Evangelization From the Black Bishops of the United States
Black Catholic Commission Advisory Board
Victoria Dhabalt Compton
Donna Moore (Ex-officio)
Sr. Mary Jean Traeger, O.P.
Rev. Joseph F. Zimmerman, O.F.M.